It is named after the "double denier" that people had to pay to cross it. In 1515, a first bridge was built there, order by François Ier to bring ill persons to the Hôtel Dieu, a big hospital. Demolished in 1709, it was replaced twice. The second time in 1883, with the arch made of cast iron (an alloy of iron and carbon).